The Greenwich Foot Tunnel is a 1,212 foot tunnel for pedestrians 50 feet under the River Thames in London from Cutty Sark Gardens to Island Gardens. It opened and was designed by Sir Alexander Binnie on August 4, 1902. It was originally design to allow south Londoners to work in the docks on the Isle of Dogs but is now an attraction to various pedestrians and tourists.
The foot tunnel has two entrances, both in circular buildings on either end of the tunnel. Each entrances is equipped with a long spiral staircase and an old lift although the lift doesn’t run all the time. The tunnel is open everyday of the year; all day. . . and all night.